Sunday, October 18, 2009

Daddy's Goodbye

Click to play this Smilebox scrapbook: Puppy
Create your own scrapbook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox scrapbook

My wife likes to say that Puppy was brought to us by God.  I don't know about that but by God I love her.

One day, while working in the yard, a little girl, dragging a dog on a leash, came to me.  She told me this dog was a stray and her parents wouldn't let her keep it.  Knowing we owned dogs, she wondered if we would take care of her puppy.  I asked Janet if that would be alright and she said yes.

Being a stray, Janet and I set out to find the owner of this energetic puppy.  We printed and posted “Found” posters in all the usual places around town.  In the mean time, we had to call this dog something, so we called her what she was, Puppy.

Time past and no one claimed her. Janet and I now had a new member of the family, and it was now time to give her a name.  All the traditional names, like “Spot” or “Rover”, just didn't fit.  The more creative names, like “Tiger” or “Killer”, just would get no response from her, but say “Puppy, what would you like to be named?” and her ears immediately perked up. Thus “Puppy” became a member of our family.

Now, it's been 11 years of pure joy “Puppy” has given Janet and me. Five months ago, “Puppy” was diagnosed with cancer. Since then, we have struggled with the question “when is it time to say goodbye?”

Several months ago, I first saw a TV commercial produced by the SPCA. It depicts several abused and abandoned dogs and cats. Each one reached through the TV screen with their sad and wanting eyes to say “help me.” Their expressions touched me to the verge of tears, and, whenever this commercial comes on, I have to change the channel, because their eyes talk to me of the pain and loneliness.

So, last Sunday afternoon, I looked into Puppy's eyes, and they talked to me of her love for Janet, and also that it was time to say goodbye. That evening, we respected her wishes with all the love we could give.

Goodbye Puppy and we love you!
Daddy (Uncle Todd)

P.S. Thanks Jess for typing.  Aunt Janet wouldn't have been able to do it.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry he had to go. But you will have those lovely memories to treasure always. Bless you both.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!