Monday, September 16, 2013

Small Town


I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be
John Mellencamp

I wasn't born here, didn't go to grade school here, but this is my hometown.  It's a small town.

A couple of years back, you used to know everyone in town.  Never could get away with anything without your parents finding out because of the eyes and ears all over town.  Yes, everyone knows everyone else's business, but, because of this, a helping hand is always a stone's throw away.

My closest friends were born here, went to kindergarten and graduated from high school with the same crew.  They made me feel like I always belonged here.  They are the ones I got crazy with in high school, stood up to each other's weddings, am helping with their kids' weddings, and will probably get crazy with when we are old.  A bunch of good girls that just like to have fun.

My family lives here.  None of us left.  It's our hometown.  My siblings each raised their families here, and hope that their grandkids will raise their kids.  We can call, and one or other will come running right away. 

It's a small town.  Nothing special except for the people that make up this small town - a bunch of nosy, gossiping, caring, and giving people.  The best kind of people are in a small town!

Easy Recipe

Bacon Bacon Broccoli Salad 

2 Tbsp. Bacon Bacon™
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vinegar
5 cups broccoli florets
2 Tbsp. salted sunflower seeds, if desired
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Combine first 4 ingredients in small bowl. Place broccoli in large bowl; drizzle with Bacon Bacon™ mixture. Toss; top with sunflower seeds and cheese. Chill 1 hour. Makes 6-8 servings.


Aunt Janet's Famous Saying

"I have eyes and ears all over town, so I will find out."  This always amazed my nieces and nephews when I found out.   And I will never give the names of my sources!

Love you,
Aunt Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!