Sunday, April 19, 2009

Keep Pushin' On

When the road gets rough, and there is no answers to the questions, just keep pushin’ on because tomorrow will be better day.
Janet A. Bartos


This quote was given at a high school commencement by the valedictorian. She had gone through some turbulent times as a teenager. Her first love, the break-up, the loss of this best friend, trying to make new friends in a new town years after she moved there, the boy that never went away, dealing with a difficult and distant father, trying to stay number one in her class, when she liked to party and have fun, and other normal growing up pains. She had caused some of the turbulence by making poor decisions. Others had just happened. Standing in front of friends, families, teachers, and fellow students, she really believed what she said because she had lived it, she had experienced it, and she knew, like one of her favorite songs, if you keep pushin’ on, tomorrow will always be a better day.

I am this person. I gave this speech. I believed in what I said. And I did have fun!

Yes, my name has changed, my education continued, I fell in love again, my father passed away, my grammar has improved (should be are, not is), and my challenges have become more difficult, but I still believe. I am blessed with the continuing friendship of girls who had put their arms around this broken-hearted new kid on the block. I am blessed with an education, and the ability to have paid for it on my own through long hours and hard work. And, yes, I’m still blessed with friends and family that know I still like to have fun!

When life throws another curve ball, all I have to do is put in the CD, turn up the volume, and sing along with REO Speedwagon the song that kept me going, “Keep Pushin’ On” because tomorrow will always be a better day.

Easy Recipe

My friend served this dessert at her last dinner party, and I couldn’t eat enough. It is so delicious! (I found the recipe, so you don't have to send it to me.)

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

2 kiwis, peeled and diced
2 Golden Delicious apples - peeled, cored and diced
8 ounces raspberries
1 pound strawberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor

10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
butter flavored cooking spray
2 cups cinnamon sugar

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix kiwis, Golden Delicious apples, raspberries, strawberries, white sugar, brown sugar and fruit preserves. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat one side of each flour tortilla with butter flavored cooking spray. Cut into wedges and arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle wedges with desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Spray again with cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven 8 to 10 minutes. Repeat with any remaining tortilla wedges. Allow to cool approximately 15 minutes. Serve with chilled fruit and spice mixture.

Time and Money Saving Tips

If you have left over potatoes, put them in a oven safe bowl, top with cheese, and bake for around 20 minutes until cheese is melted in 350 degree oven. Sometimes I even throw in a couple extra potatoes so I can have this the next day. It saves time, and helps turn leftovers into something totally different.

Books

Have you read "New Moon" yet? My mom questioned why I would want to read a story about vampires, something evil and ungodly. You have to read the book. It's about vegetarian vampires, who, because of their beliefs, were not evil. I highly recommend it. You can't put it down. And the main vampire character is so cute!

Keep Pushin' On,
Aunt Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!