Sunday, May 24, 2009

Do not go where the path may lead;
go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


My Godchild graduated today, and I am extremely proud of her. She achieved so many rewards and scholarships that my sister just beams (and, of course, brags)! She is a beautiful young woman with a life time ahead. If I could give one piece of advice, it would be the quote above.

So many times, we take the safe path - the one laid out for us, when, in reality, God nudges our heart to take a different one that is not clearly marked. Lean on Him, and He will make His plans for you visible, and achievable.

Venture into the unknown, make a trail, and seek the joys in life that only come from saying "I did it!"

Aunt Janet's Sayings

I've looked my nieces and nephews in the eye, and have said:

You can do anything that you put your heart into. No goal is unachievable,
if you work hard at it. Sometimes we need help, you just have to ask.
Always remember, you can do anything!


Gardening

My garden is 95% planted. The tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and cucumbers plants are in. I've planted carrots, onions, beets, lettuce, spinach, and radishes.
This year, before the insects attack, I am looking for ways to prevent the infestation before it happens. With the zucchinis, I always get vine borers. With the cucumbers, squash bugs, beans, June bugs, cabbage family plants, cabbage worms. So begins my research, my pouring through organic gardening books, and searching online. I would welcome any organic preventative measures that you use.

I am going to try a couple that I just read about, and will let you know if they work. For the zucchinis, their stems are getting covered with tin foil to prevent the borers from entry. For the cabbage worms, I'm going to see if I can find netting, so that the moths cannot lay eggs which turn into these destructive worms.

Recipe

This is my mother-in-law's recipe, that soon became one of my family's favorite. I've had this at many summer parties.

Broccoli Slaw

1 pkg. broccoli slaw
2-3 green onions, sliced
2 pkgs. beef Ramen Noodles
1 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. sliced almonds, if desired
1/2 c. white vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 c. sugar

In a large bowl, combine broccoli slaw, sunflower seeds, and green onions. Make dressing from the Ramen noodles seasoning packets in a separate bowl. Crumble the Ramen noodles and mix into slaw mix. Then, pour dressing over slaw. Enjoy!

Aunt Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It!