Saturday, May 16, 2009

Wind Beneath My Wings

I could fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings.
Bette Midler


I have a very special friend whose faith flows from her very being. It is awesome to listen to her, because, through all her challenges in life, she truly lives her faith, without wavering or doubting.

She deserves a round of applause because, even though the last 2 years have been the most challenging, today she received her master's degree. I am so proud, and awed, by her. Why? Her faith, and her ability to fly.

See, my friend's son, her only child, was taken from her over a year ago by a young troubled man who shot him point blank. He didn't even see it coming. As I stood in the hospital with her, I saw her take care of not only her son, but her family. She even showed compassion for the troubled young man, wondering what could have happened to him that he would even consider taking another's life, another young man so blessed with the gift of music. I watched her lean on her faith, knowing that God is in control. God did give her time with her son, time to say good-bye. When he passed on, she stood tall, knowing that her son was in God's audience, and in a much better place than we can imagine. And she went on.

She continued going to her classes while she grieved, even though at times it was hard, but knowing that this is what God wanted her to do. Now, more than a year later, she receives her master's degree, an accomplishment most of us never achieve. I applaud her.

And I am inspired by her. I see the faith she has, and, even at her darkest hour, she leans on it, believes in it, and soars like an eagle, knowing that He is wind beneath her wings.

My faith tends to waver at times, but, by her example, I am learning that He is always there, and to be grateful for each and every day. We grow through the hard times, and, by putting our trust in Him, we draw closer to our God. It is a blessing!

Congratulations, Felinda! You go girl! I am so proud of you!

Easy Recipe

You have to check out this blog! She has so many yummy recipes, and the pictures will make your mouth water! It's The Candy Bar blog.

This is such a popular appetizer with my friends and co-workers that I usually make two. Can you guess one of the businesses that I am a consultant?

Cool Veggie Pizza

1 pkg. (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent roll dough
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dill Mix or dill weed
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups of a variety of fresh vegetables: zucchini, mushrooms, carrots, green or red peppers, green onions, seeded tomatoes, seeded cucumbers, etc.
1 oz. (1/4 cup) shredded cheddar cheese, if desired

Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread crescent roll dough onto 13-inch baking stone and pinch seams together (you can probably use a cookie sheet as well). Bake 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool completely.

Blend cream cheese, mayonnaise, dill weed, salt and pepper. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of cooled crust. Coarsely chop or crinkle cut chosen vegetables. Sprinkle layer of each vegetable over pizza. Top with grated cheese, if desired. Refrigerate before serving. Yield: 8-10 appetizer servings.

Gardening

I am getting antsy. It's either raining, or the ground has been too wet to plant. Tomorrow, I am determined to plant, even if I get wet and muddy!

I tend to have dirty black nails all spring and summer. I just don't like gloves. A tip that a friend shared with me is to put soap under your finger nails before you dig into the dirt. It works, as long as the ground isn't too muddy!

Another tip - share your plants! If yours die off, you can always ask for plants in return. I share my herbs, hostas, perennials, and berry plants. I am looking for a free hand-out of different variety of hostas. Do you need to break yours up? Can I have a plant or two? Please...

Aunt Janet's Famous Sayings

I'm suffering from empty nest syndrome for aunts. Here's a new one - "If you really care for someone, you will find time to call." Don't put it off, just call!

You know I love you,
Aunt Janet

2 comments:

  1. Jillian2:53 PM

    In reference to the veggie pizza, what can be substituted for mayo? Or do you think it would be fine without it?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it would be fine without it. You just want the cream cheese to be spreadable. If it's too thick to spread (and it's at room temp), try adding a little tiny bit of milk to thin it out.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!