Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eye on the Sparrow

His eye is on the sparrow, so I know He watches me.
Civilla Durfee Martin



Sometimes life gets overwhelming. We wonder "Where is God?" We look for answers, searching for the why, reaching out to others and up to Him, and our prayers go unanswered.

There is a Bible verse where Jesus tells us "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31)

We have heard the song, reflected on the words. I found out a little about this beautiful hymn. Civilla Durfree Martin wrote the song was "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" in 1904. She had said, "I wrote the song 'His Eye Is on the Sparrow' in the company of a bedridden saint in the city of Elmira, New York. I was reading and singing to her and during our conversation, I chanced to ask her if she did not sometimes get discouraged. This is when she responded about God's care for the sparrow. Her answer prompted me to find paper and pencil, and in a very short time I had completed the poem."

If God cares enough for a sparrow, why should I even think He doesn't care for me? If He knows when one sparrow falls, why shouldn't He know when I fall - when life's problems are too great?

The verse goes on to tell us not to be afraid. He knows how many hairs we have on our head. He cares. He will take care of us.

What can we do while we are waiting, when our life's problems surround us? My first thought is "Be still and know that I am God." Someone once told me that we are to be still because satan cannot read our minds. He can only see our actions, hear our words, know our heartbeat. So, if we are still, he has no idea what is going on in our head - our worry and hopelessness. She said that the only way to do this was to pray, to hand over all our worries to God. Our actions won't reflect our anxiety. Our words and actions will not convey our hopelessness. Think - when you pray, doesn't it feel good to get it off your chest, to ask for help, to say "I cannot do this"? You let go, and let God. Who is more able to take care of our problems then God?

I think that one reason I write these blogs is, not only to share what I believe, but, maybe more importantly, so that I reflect, so I can remember, and so I can get through my hectic life, and then strive for that simple life.

Aunt Janet's Famous Sayings

When I worry about a family member, I have been know to ask: "What do you want? A balloon, flying carpet, basket, or airplane? And what color?" I take whatever they say, have them hold it, put them on it, or in it, and let go. In my mind, I visualize them going up to God. Who else is better able to take care of them? If I step in the picture - give my opinion, try to help, or offer advice - and I am worrying too much about them, I just may get in God's way, and I don't want to do that. I mean He's the big guy, the top dog. God is far more capable to take care of them then I am.

So, what do you want? To fly to heaven on a balloon, flying carpet, basket, or airplane? And you know if I'm asking you, don't you? Purple with pink polk-a-dots flying carpet girl, or is it the basket lady?

The Garden

I thought I'd add a new section to my blog - The Garden. If you've read my previous blogs, you may have found out that I am an avid gardener. I also don't have a lot of time to spend in the garden, but it's the place I find peace.

In early spring, I try to go out to the garden to cut back all the dead debris from the last year. The earlier I do it, the more I am able to do. See, perennials and herbs tend to start peaking through the ground early, and if you wait to cut them back, you may not be able to cut them back without injuring the new growth.

Also, I do this in the beginning of spring instead of the end of fall because the leaves and other dead material will cover the plant in winter. A harsh winter may kill even a hardy perennial. You have heard of cones that you put over your rose bushes. Well, the dead stuff covers the plants like the cones - to help them survive another winter. (Side note - There are some perennials that are not winter hardy, and should be dug up and put in a sheltered area. One that comes to mind is calla lily. So, it's best to read about your plants to know for sure.)


Okay, I feel better again. Thanks for reading my blog! Please do pray for me and my frazzled life (and click away on this blog), and I will pray for you.

Aunt Janet

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:12 PM

    I think the comments I leave on your blog have a mind of their own and post only if they want to.. I'm not sure why they don't all post - or post multiple times. I just have to thank you for teaching me to "give it to God" There are so many obsticles that are out of my control and as soon as I realize that I have no control over any of those situations I give it to God - Send it up... Thank you for that coping skill AJ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basket Lady - When I receive the comment, I then need to publish it. It doesn't go directly into the post. Maybe I should change that?? What do you think?

    Aunt Janet

    ReplyDelete

Pin It!